Thursday, October 25, 2012

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen




Cooking Skill Level: SUPER EASY

Great book! I love the humor.  It’s quite mischievous. Sort of like some boys I know.

The premise is that there’s a Bear who lost his Hat.  He wants it back.  You have to read this one, it’s so darn funny. I really want to tell the story to you so you can understand some of the subtleties of the meal, but I do not want to ruin this story for anyone.  Just trust that the food fits really well with the story line.

First, we have hats.  Pasta hats, or orecchiette.  Even though these aren’t shaped just like the Bear’s missing hat, they are still hats.  To prove that they are hats, I’ve photographed my little finger wearing one.  Quite the fashionable digit. 
 

 Add some carrots, in honor of the Rabbit.  You’ll meet the Rabbit if you read the story.

 Next, work on the Bear foods.  Take sandwich thins or slices of bread (in twos so they match) and cut out a bear paw shape.  It’s basically 4 small pads at the top of a larger pad (the palm). 
 
 
 
If the kids are small enough, tell them that’s just what a bear paw looks like.  If they’re too old to fall for that, give them a butter knife and let them shape the paws. I filled the paws with chicken salad, but you could use any sandwich filler; cold cuts, cheese, egg salad, even peanut butter and jelly. 
 
Plate it all up; the bear paw sandwich, the hats (with a bit of butter and parsley) and the carrots.  Expect the orecchiette to end up on little fingertips, but they’ll also get eaten!



For dessert, I found some Teddy Graham Soft Paws which are soft cookies shaped like bear paws.  If you can’t find them and don’t want to try making cookies from scratch, try my pie crust and cinnamon trick.  Just unroll a refrigerated pie crust, sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar and cut your paw shapes.  Put them on a cookie sheet and bake until light brown.  These are great, quick and tasty “cookies”.  To complete the dessert, I added some perfect red strawberries which really do look just like the Bear’s Hat.

 

Title
I Want My Hat Back
Author
Jon Klassen
Illustrator
Jon Klassen
Publisher
Chadwick Press
Highlights /Tie in
Hats, Red Hat, Rabbit, Bear
Reactions to the Book
·         Q laughed and pointed to the hat when he saw the bunny wearing the red hat, but saying I don’t know anything about a hat, why would I know about a hat, I didn’t steal any hat.  He then fell off the couch laughing when he heard the bear say what rabbit? I don’t know anything about a rabbit …
·         Long after the dinner… O pulled a video off the shelf and it knocked down a dozen or so … his response? What movie? I didn’t grab any movie.  Why would I take a movie?
Meal
·         Hats: Orecchiete with carrots (in honor of the rabbit)
·         Chicken Salad Paw Sandwiches: Cut Multi Grain Sandwich Thins and chicken salad
·         Dessert: Red Hats (strawberries, shaped just like the bear’s hat – cones), Bear Paw cookies
Reactions to the Meal
·         Pasta hats on each finger
·         Each time they ate a carrot, they yelled out “what rabbit? I didn’t eat a rabbit”

 

On to the next posting … 

No comments:

Post a Comment