Sunday, December 2, 2012

Where's You Book Grummy?


 
 
I made a really quick stop to drop off some things at my daughter's the other day.  The two younger children were home, while the eldest was in school.  The middle child saw me, saw that my hands were empty and said "Where's you book, Grummy?" and the youngest said "Where's the food?".  I tried to explain to them that it wasn't a book and dinner night, but they were not about to accept that.  The youngest went up to his room and brought me a huge armload of books (as huge as you can get for a 2 year old).  The three year old sat on the couch in "listening position", ready to hear whatever story we were going to read. 

Isn't that a great greeting?  It really doesn't get much better than that.  They associate the books and dinners with Grummy.  They're disappointed when it isn't time for a book and dinner.  And they know what goes into a book and dinner. 

When the kindergartner came home, he joined us on the couch after looking for the Grummy basket (which wasn't there  - see picture above - this usually has food containers and a book in it).

It ended up that all of the boys "read" stories to me.  They turned the pages on books they'd heard forever, and told the story to me.  We talked about the stories, we talked about what kind of food we'd have to make someday for those stories and we acted out some of the characters. 

I have the best grandchildren. 

No comments:

Post a Comment