Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Stuck, by Oliver Jeffers



 
Skill Level: Intermediate (some carving skills needed – otherwise, EASY)

When my middle grandson started talking, I think his first word was “Stuck”, or rather “SDUK”.  He would wiggle his way into small places, climb up high, crawl behind, and so forth, but he inevitably got SDUK.  I remember that tiny little voice saying SDUK over and over until someone would find him and help him get UnSDUK.  The title of this book brought back some fond memories.

The story Stuck is about a kite that gets stuck in a tree and just how Floyd goes about getting it out.

He tries throwing many things at it to loosen the kite.  They all get Stuck.  The cat.  His shoes.  A whale. Two boats.  A bucket of paint.  A firetruck and firemen.  Until finally, the tree gets full and the kite falls out.

 I had thought about doing a salad that the boys could add to but then I realized that this was the perfect opportunity for a Stuckasserole. 

 I started by making kites out of biscuits.  I rolled out some canned (refrigerator) biscuits and hand cut them to look like kites, making sure they were large enough to cover most of the bowl.  Then I took a bowl each, wrapped it in aluminum foil and laid the biscuit kite on top, draping it over the edges.  I baked them for about 10 minutes (at 350) then took them out to cool.
 

 
Then I trimmed some broccoli florettes to look like trees.  I know some kids really don’t like broccoli, so maybe you make a tree out of celery stalls.  My grandsons will eat broccoli if it’s in a creamy cheesy sauce so I was hoping to convince them that they’d love this. 



Then, I cut some carrots into little cylinders and hollowed them a bit, leaving a depression that made them somewhat resemble tiny paint buckets.  With a bit of Grummy says these are paint buckets, there was no argument about it.

 

The same for my potato boats.  I sliced my potatoes and then cut them into the shape (close enough) of rowboats and hollowed out a bit of the middle. 

 

I then cooked all of these, the broccoli, carrots and potatoes in separate dishes in the microwave.  I cooked them separately so that the boys could assemble their Stuckasseroles.  I started them out by putting some trees in their bowls, then telling them to put some paint buckets, seashells (tiny pasta shells) (what’s a casserole without pasta?), boats, and cats (cut out of Canadian bacon) into their bowls. 

 
 
Then we played the Stick a Pea In It game.  The boys loved the name, thinking it was almost naughty, but funny because Grummy kept saying it.  I asked them what other things Floyd threw into the tree.  For each thing one of them answered, I’d say “Stick a Pea In It” and they’d take a pea out of the little pile of peas and put it in their bowl.  If they didn’t answer, I’d say “Stick a Pea In It” and they’d take a pea out of the little pile of peas and put it in their bowl.  I’d ask how their day was, and when they answered, I’d say “Stick a Pea In It” and they’d take a pea out of the little pile of peas and put it in their bowl.  I asked if Grummy looked especially pretty tonight, and when they agreed, I’d say “Stick a Pea In It” and they’d take a pea out of the little pile of peas and put it in their bowl.  We played this for a bit.  So much so that the boys started asking questions and saying “Stick a Pea In It”. 

 Once their bowls were full, I topped them with some cheese whales and a tiny bit of milk.  I microwaved them briefly just to melt the whales, and topped the bowl with the biscuit kite.

 

 

For dessert, we had fruit, yogurt and blueberry muffin “casseroles”.  I made a parfait of the fruit and yogurt and topped them with a slice of muffin (cut crosswise to make a circle) and topped the whole thing with more yogurt.

 
 

Title
Stuck
Author
Oliver Jefffers
Illustrator
 
Publisher
Philomel
Highlights /Tie in
Trees, kites, boats, cats, whales, paint buckets
Reactions to the Book
·         Remember Grummy when O got SDUK all the time?  That was funny.  Maybe he was a kite.
·         My ball got stuck in the tree but it fell over so we could get the ball out.
·         Mommy wouldn’t like it if I threw my shoes in the tree.
Meal
·         Stuckasseroles
·         Broccoli trees, carrot paint buckets, potato boats, cheese whales, ham cats, biscuit kites
·         Dessert of fruit parfait “casserole”
Reactions to the Meal
·         They loved assembling their own Stuckasseroles.
·         They Loved telling each other what to put into them.
·         The LOVED the Stick A Pea In It game.

No comments:

Post a Comment