Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Incredible Book Eating Boy, by Oliver Jeffers

 
Skill Level: Intermediate (good shopping skills help)
We so enjoyed Oliver Jeffers’ Stuck, that I started reading some of his other books and came across this one.  The youngest grandchild saw the back of the book and started yelling “IT’S MINE IT’S MINE IT’S MINE” (he didn’t stop after three times, I just didn’t feel like typing the other 739 iterations.) I guess he thinks that anything that he’s licked or has a bite out of it is his. He’s generally right since nobody else wants what he’s licked or bitten.
 
This story is about Henry who loved books.  Like I love ice cream.  As he ate books he became smarter and smarter.  However, because this is a story which ends well, he couldn’t continue to eat them.
 I thought about books. I thought about pages.  I thought about a cover.  I thought about lasagna. Layers of “pages” inside a red (Henry’s favorite books are red) cover.  Luckily, Mr. Jeffers gave me an idea for a side dish … so I thought about broccoli. 
First, I used my handy pasta recipe with a bit of red added.  I took my 2 ¼ cups of flour, 3 eggs and dash of salt and added about a tablespoon of tomato paste.  I mixed this, then rolled it into a ball and set it aside to rest.  The color, by the way, looked like a fine aged red book … sort of orange.
 
While the dough was resting, I had to run to the store for ingredients for my dessert idea.  While there, I made a visit to the salad bar.  I gathered a nice salad of broccoli, cauliflower, corn, peppers, cherry tomatoes, snap peas and a wee bit of ranch dressing.  Perfect  side dish.  It’s already assembled.
 
When I got home, the pasta was well-rested, so I rolled it out thin, and cut some pages.  I made my pages twice the length of my baking dish, but only one times the width. 
 
 
This way, I could fold them over to make pages.
 
 
 
Because I wanted the noodles to steam a bit, I put about a teaspoon of water in the bottom of my dish.  I layered the noodles with sliced provolone, thinly sliced mushroom, thinly sliced white onions and ricotta (note the white theme here?), repeating and “opening” the red covers as I went. 
 
 
 
Technically, I had a lot more covers than pages, but as I told the boys, that happens.  In retrospect, I could have made a half recipe of red pasta and a half of white.  Then I’d have my pages as white pasta.  I’ll know better next time. 
 
I covered this with foil and baked it for about a half an hour. 
 
 
For dessert, I cut some puff pastry into rectangles.  I gave the boys plastic knives and told them to press the handle down the middle so it looked like an open book.  I baked these while the boys were eating, and then served them with some chocolate syrup for dipping.
 
 
Title
The Incredible Book Eating Boy
Author
Oliver Jefffers
Illustrator
 
Publisher
Philomel
Highlights /Tie in
Books Books Books
Reactions to the Book
·         We eat books Grummy! Only you cook them first.
·         IT’S MINE IT’S MINE, etc.
·         I like green books.  Grummy you need to make me a green book.  Not for the others, just for me.
Meal
·         Books (lasagna)
·         Broccoli salad
·         Puff pastry books with chocolate sauce
Reactions to the Meal
·         Grummy, why aren’t there any noodle pages?
·         Youngest grabbed his lasagna and took a bite, the others ate it in pieces.  Lots of pieces.
·         The puff pastry books were a huge hit.  Page by page by page … dipped in chocolate.  A lot of dripping chocolate. 
·         This meal required more cleanup than I’d anticipated.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment